Saturday 8 October 2011

Positives, Negatives and Recommendations

I've been in my new place for 3 weeks now. It is wonderful having a brand new home, although not relaxing yet. I still have a lot of hard work ahead of me, even after all the boxes are unpacked.

Negatives/Things I didn’t like
Outcome
Recommendations
Before signing you need to know what is included and what isn’t. Eg toilet roll holders, towel holders, floor covering (and if it is included, how many squares they give you).
I added things so that I could just move in and be comfortable (eg toilet roll holders, towel rails etc)
I had to pay extra for all my floor coverings because my house was bigger than the squares they gave you.
The price at signing isn’t the final price. Ask the consultant to take you around display homes and point out extras and what’s included. Different companies include different things, that is why some are more expensive than others.
The crossover (driveway from footpath to road side) will cost close to $2000. Hidden cost!
I paid extra for my driveway but it didn’t include the crossover. I knew this but didn’t expect my crossover to cost $1750.
Write out a list of extra things you need (not want). Include crossover, curtains, moving trucks, rates, water bill, fencing, top soil, letter box,  etc. It helps if you’re on a strict budget like me.
At the Gallery, I didn’t go silly and upgrade everything I wanted.
I thought about what I couldn’t live with and without. I only upgraded a few things.
I upgraded carpet, bath size, laundry cupboards, front door, changed some tiled areas to wood, heating lamps in bathrooms, doors on WIR and ensuit, remote control garage door, privacy locks to bathroom, toilet and ensuit, and pot draws and extra cupboards in kitchen.
My only thing I upgraded just because I really wanted to spoil myself was my 3 panel siding door. I justified it because my kitchen doesn’t have a window and I wanted more natural light.
Upgrades cost money so think about if it is worth the extra cost and remember the hidden costs like fences, curtains, crossover and bills. (Sorry to be a party-pooper. I too would have loved lots of upgrades.)
Unfortunately the standard carpet included in Simonds package isn’t the best quality. It is like outdoor carpet in my opinion, and the choice in colours was very limited even in the next few categories.
I upgraded my carpets to category 2 which also included an upgrade to the underlay.
It wasn’t the exact colour I wanted but it looked good with my couch cushion.
Expect to pay extra for carpet especially if you like to walk around your house with no shoes on.
Take a couch cushion or samples of your own stuff to Gallery. With my new couch I wanted it to match (or not clash at least) with my carpet.
As part of my special package “$22000 upgrades for just $5000” I added my carpet and wood but Simonds also limited it to 50m2 for carpet for $4500 and 50m2 for timber floors.

Of course my house went over in 50m2 for carpet and 50m2 for timber floor, of which I paid extra for (UNEXPECTED COST). I asked them to re-look at the figures to bring the cost down. They increased the carpet in one area which reduced the wooden floor  area and therefore brought down the costs because wood is more expensive than carpet. I think he reduced the wastage too. I didn’t like the carpet guy at the Simonds Gallary. He was rude and seemed to be in a hurry to leave. He kept confusing me with prices extra area and upgrades to floor.
There will be costs you’re not expecting at the Gallery. At the end they will go over all the choices you have made and you can take things off then if you need to.
Regional Areas pay more for extra items due to freight costs.
At the Gallery, the price of things like an upgraded door cost extra to freight it if you’re regional. I still don’t understand why when they were sending you a door in the first place, really you’re just changing the one they send.
Hidden costs for regional areas!
The National Tiles Range is limited in Ballarat. They have the standard Simonds range which is good for floors and skirting boards but are limited in upgrades for feature tiles.
I went into the Ballarat National Tiles several times and asked them questions. I was original disappointed about the feature tile range as I wanted a deep red feature tile for my kitchen because I wasn’t able to afford red glass splashback. After several visits to look at my options, I found a lovely tile. I took my time to imagine what it would look like with the rest of the house (using my sample colours that Simonds gave me at the Gallery was very helpful).
The guy was very helpful when I finally went in for my tile appointment. It ended up being so cheap to upgrade my kitchen tile and I was able to add a feature tile to both showers. Everything just over $300!
Go in and look at the tile range before your appointment. Ask questions and start making decisions before the appointment.

If you can, go in to the Gallery in South Melbourne before your appointment too. I wasn’t able to do this.

They have a Gallery in Geelong. My neighbour across the road went there for her appointment.
I asked the SS to keep the left over bricks and he forgot.
My left over bricks were scraped up with the extra dirt.
I reminded them about my bricks and now they will replace them (although this is taking a while).

Ask the SS and email your Customer Relations Officer (CRO). Keep your emails as evidence just in case.
It is better to use email to communicate as it leaves a paper trail, where conversation doesn’t.
Ask to keep left over bricks and tiles.
It doesn’t hurt to take photos of leftovers.
I asked the SS and the CRO if I could keep the left over tiles and they have disappeared from the garage.
After my tiles were finished I noticed the left over tiles and asked if I could keep them. I took photos of them. They agreed and said they will be left in the garage for me. But sadly they were missing during my final inspection. After a few emails they are now supplying me with a few more new ones to replace the missing ones.
Maybe take them after the tile job is finished.
The standard paint is only 2 coats. This is a tinted undercoat/sealer with the colour you picked and one top coat!
I questioned several people at Simonds before finally agreeing not to upgrade my paint to 3 coats, thinking it was sealed and then coated with 2 coats of paint. I even spoke to the Painter himself who said he does 2 good coats and there wasn’t a need for a third. He was wrong. At my final inspection 98% of the problems were with the paint – nail holes and bog showing through/different texture, overspray from the roof, glossy overspray, patches. Very disappointing. Lucky for me I have a wonderful uncle who is a Painter by trade and runs his own business. He’s philosophy is to do a wonderful and professional job the first time and word of mouth is the best advertisement. He will re-paint next year when I can afford the paint.
Get 3 coats of paint if you can afford it!
Ask if you can go in and do the sealer before the painting. That way the paint won’t soak into the plaster and their 2 coats will cover better.
I tried to organise to go in and do the sealer but the painter was ready before I was and they said he was starting the next day.
Cleaning of the yard.
Finally when your house is ready they clean the yard with a bobcat and flatten out the yard.
OMG! Never did I think they would just grade the lot: rubbish, off cuts of bricks and tiles, wire, plaster board and dirt.
It is not until you start to dig or rake that you find out what a poor job they did cleaning/clearing the yard!
Plus the ground is so rock hard with clay it makes doing anything to the yard very difficult.
On a tight budget, I didn’t put money aside for bobcats and top soil (silly me). So it will take me awhile to did it up with a shovel. Poor back, and many blisters L
I’m not sure what recommendations I can make, other than putting some money aside for your garden.
Top soil cost about $40m3 (plus $25 delivery) and you need 5-10cm in depth, so 1 cubic metre will cover 10-20m2.

Maybe asked the SS to clean the rubbish up before the digger comes in, or do it yourself then you know it has been done (and put it in their big bin).



Positive
Outcome
Recommendations
Regional areas (like Ballarat) get free flyscreens for all opening windows and sliding doors.
I upgraded my sliding door in the dining room to a 3 panel, and even though the documents said flyscreen not included, it was because I’m regional!
I had to ask about flyscreens for my sliding door at the Gallery interview. So don’t be afraid to ask questions.
I budgeted $5000 for the fences. I looked on the internet and in local papers for fencing companies.
I called around and asked for quotes then compared them.
By shopping around, my fence cost was just over $3000.
Shopping around (even over the phone) will save you money! Ask around too because the cheapest isn’t necessarily the best.
For the fencing guy I went and inspected a fence he had just built in the same estate.
One of my next door neighbours is also going to build his himself to save labour costs, so if you know how (or know someone that does) do it!
If you hesitate and think about things when you first look at display homes, the consultant will offer you extras to get your business.
I started at Metricon with my heart set on a design, but after asking Metricon questions and worrying a little about hidden costs, I looked into Simonds and changed my mind. The Simonds consultant knew I was seriously considering Metricon and offered me more.
I began my process in February but got the December special offers which included a free air-conditioner and 900mm appliances as well as the “$22000 upgrades for $5000”. This was instead of a free IPad for February.
Apparently around Christmas you get the best deals!
Shop around at the different building companies. Don’t sign anything.
When you are certain about the design and the company, go and have another look at the other companies again.
Ask the other companies questions, especially about what is and isn’t included, standard range and upgrades, special deals and extra things they can throw in to get your business.
Don;t be afraid to walk away and think about things at any stage before signing. The sales reps will contact you and try hard to get you back.
I thought about design verses practicality.
I upgraded to a solid wooden front door. It does have a small side glass panel next to it that I can look through. I’ll have it tinted in the future so I can look out but others can’t look in.

I moved my kitchen island bench to the wall so that people (including kids) couldn’t walk through the kitchen. I reversed the pantry and the fridge hole so you don’t have to walk into the kitchen to get a drink.

I put doors on the ensuit and WIR. They face the front of the house and into the bedroom. It seems silly not to have doors on them and I hate looking into my WIR and seeing the mess of clothes. Also I don’t want anyone (including my partner and people walking passed) to see my in the shower or on the toilet.

I added wooden siding doors to an open extra lounge room and made it a separate room for my study. I can now close the door and hide my mess of papers and books. It can also be used as an extra bedroom in to future if needs be.
Look at your house design and think about people on the footpath. Lovely glass doors (whether they be designer or not) lets people look right into your house.

I hate walk through/walk around kitchens. I want to be able to put a child gate up and protect kids from the stove.
Now you only go into the kitchen to cook or prepare food. People can get a drink without getting in the way of the cook (me).

Again, think of the people on the footpath! Let’s not put on a show for them.

Closing doors on your WIR makes the room less busy and hides any mess.





Closing in an extra lounge room makes the room more practical. Double doors doesn’t take away the welcoming effect either.
Spotlight have wonderful window covering sales!
On approaching my handover date, I was worried about not having window covering. Thanks to Spotlight’s huge sales over the last 4 weeks I have most of my window covered. I’ll take photos and explain in more detail soon.
So far I have spend $850 and I only have 2 bedroom windows and my sliding door to cover.

Wait for sales! Spotlight and Lincraft both have great deals.
I saved 40% to 50% off though sales.
You can also make customer orders if they have a sale on but don’t have the right size. It takes longer but at least you get the sale prize and exactly what you want.

Next I will blog about window coverings: cost, procedure, recommendations. Soon I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on moving in to your new home.

    Great post, really good ideas.

    The tiler probably took the tiles with him as in our last house when we had the tiles in the kitchen done we chose a tiler that did a lot of homes at Waverley Park, he gave us tiles he didn't use from the new homes and bragged about it.

    Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete